Friday, February 16, 2007

Journal for Feb 1-15 2007 and some pictures

Tishik's 10th Birthday - Natalie's 16th birthday below.
Brother and sister!

Last night, Feb. 15, I put my had through this window as I was trying to close it! I just one cut on my wrist and not too bad!
Thursday, February 1, 2007
I picked up Anya D. at her house at 8:30am and went to the clinic for exam about my coughing. We spent until 12 there seeing 3 Drs., ekg and getting 2 x-rays. Then we went and bought meds. Yes, I have bronchitis again – I had it this time of year 3 years ago. Everything cost me about $32. In the US without insurance this would have cost maybe $700 plus. Here it cost about ¼ months income for the average worker. I was told I may be contagious so I need to stay in, rest and not have anyone around me for 4 days at least. Great! Canceling and moving classes again!! The Thursday Bible study was held at Kelli’s house tonight and James started teaching on Hebrews.
Friday, February 2 – Sunday, February 4 – Janessa’s (my youngest daughter) Birthday!
Stayed in and tried to get well – pretty sick Friday and Saturday. Sunday I was feeling better. Called Janessa a couple of times and wished her happy birthday! My internet is used up and I haven’t been able to put money on it – frustrating! People have brought me food and cooked for me. I am well loved and cared for! I worked on things like newsletters, Bible studies – personal studies, etc. But it has been hard to do a lot of deep thinking – I just don’t feel good. By Sunday evening I decided to go out to evening services. We had 14 for this service. Afterwards Kelli and I went out and ate together. Overall, I felt I did pretty good, but when I got home, I had nearly a continuous coughing spell and didn’t get to sleep until almost midnight.
Monday, February 05
I woke up at 4am coughing. I got some hot tea and that helped, but couldn’t go back to sleep. I am writing this journal now and will try to work on a Bible study today for my class in the village. I don’t know if I should go or not. Oh, I need to go! But physically, I just don’t know!?!?! I continued to cough badly, so canceled the classes again today. I just know that if I was the teachers, parents, etc. I would not want someone coming to my child’s class and coughing like I am. I studied all morning and rested much of the rest of the day. I am tired or resting – I want to be well! Is there any impatience in that? Yes, I am afraid so. Kelli and Gregory ran some errands for me today of which I am VERY thankful for!
Tuesday, February 6
Personal study, reading, studying, trying to be still and recover. People did come here for singing and we had 19. We did a split devo tonight with Alina leading the girl’s study and I the guys. We sang for about a ½ and studied for about ½ hour. After singing we had meeting about reviewing what we are doing and planning for the future. That lasted until about 8:30pm.
Wed. and Thurs. 7 & 8
Mostly just trying to get well. We did have our Thursday night study with 11 people and James led it. We studied Heb. 1:2,3 and James did a real good job. I am feeling better and I am going to get out tomorrow! I am going stir crazy!
Friday, February 9
I spent much of the morning in study and preparation for the village and other things. Artem went with Oksana and I to the village for our class with the 5-7th graders. Again, the classes were out really early at 12 and we got there at 2:30 – our scheduled time! Still 8 kids waited for us and we had a good class! We had a good study and a lot of fun! At 6 back in Kremenchuk it was our Fun Night and we had 2 come plus me! We have several ill and 6 went to Kiev for the weekend. But still, more should have come!
Saturday, February 10
Bible Clubs again today – we missed last week because I was ill. We had 8 for our Adult/Univ. Bible Club. Then the other 2 were pitiful as far as numbers are concerned. We had 1 for our Beginners Club, but that allowed Angelina, 9th grade, and I to start again our personal Bible study. We are studying the plan of salvation for her life. Then I went to the Church discussion and back to the last Bible Club at 6pm. Just 2 girls came, both long time comers, but not Christians, even though 1 thinks she is. We talked a lot and then played a couple of card games together. It was time well spent!
Sunday, February 11
Attendance at church was ok, but only a few of our young people. We had only 5 help us make sandwiches afterwards. Again, several were ill and out of town. Then I fixed hot tuna sandwiches, which even Kelli liked – she doesn’t normally like fish of any kind! We had 14 for our evening service at the Church building. I spoke on the Blood of Christ and what’s purpose is and what it does for us.
Monday, February 12
In the morning we (Yulya to translate) went once more to school #9 to talk to the Director. No change, so we got our books, talked to the 9th graders and 6th graders. We asked the 6th graders if we could find a room at the Palace of Culture, would they come. About 10 said that they would. So we went to the Palace of Culture in that part of town (there are about 5 of them in Kremenchuk) and talked to their director and we can rent a fair sized room for 2 hours, 2 days a week for 250 Grievnas a month. Then I tried to write an sms to a brother at the church that can help me get the necessary papers to finish this up and it wouldn’t go through. Oksana is ill and I couldn’t get a translator, so we postponed going to the village until Wed. We were going to go to school 11 today to visit classes, but it was too late and we didn’t get to go. Ksusha, Alina and I went to study with the Orphan family and had a really good study and we got home around 9pm.
Tuesday, February 13
We found out last night at the Bible Study that all schools in Kremenchuk have been put under quarantine through the rest of this week and no school at classes until maybe next Monday. They might extend it more next week. They do that often. We had 16 for singing/devo tonight and then we celebrated Natalie and her brother Tishik’s birthday tonight. Their birthdays were both last week, but this was the first time we had to come and celebrate them.
Wednesday, February 14
The main highlight of this day is that Serge and I (Oksana is still ill, but better) went to the village in the afternoon and had a real good study with all 5 of our girls there. They seem so interested and it is fun to be with them and they seem to think that this is mutual. We studied about how to make a choice between God and the world/Satan. It is the 2nd of such studies and they really seemed to appreciate it. It is a good study to prepare and will be useful for studying with others in the future. I got home a little after 5 and spent the rest of this day of love by myself.
Thursday, February 15
I did a lot of personal study and some shopping. I am really enjoying reading an excellent book called, “God’s Love Bank” by Dr. Tony Roach, a preacher in the Church. It takes a lot of thought, but is well written, well scriptural documented and a wonderful approach of how we as Christians should leave our old selves of sin and walk and live in the new self that Jesus intended for us to do. I bought a new headset for the computer that has a mike on it that makes it a lot easier to hear on the computer when talking by phone/internet. I tried it yesterday and it was a big help. We had a good Bible Study in Hebrews in the evening with 14 there and 10 stayed to share in our valentine’s party afterwards. It was a nice evening! I should take a moment to note that my bronchitis is better, but I am still coughing some – more than I want, but I do believe I am improving. Thank you for those of you that had been praying for me!


1 comment:

Ben Berry said...

Dad, do your supporters know about this blog?
Anyway, did you write up anything about the blood of Christ? If so, would you email it to me? Thanks! Love you, Dad!